COVID-19 Job Site Safety
Construction projects and companies in their supply chain are NOT EXEMPT from social distancing requirements. Please reference the following documents regarding COVID-19 information, and social distancing and hygiene protocols:
- City of Durango Face Covering Order News Release
- Colorado Association of Home Builders Blog (contains up-to-date COVID-19 information for builders)
- Colorado Association of Home Builders COVID-19 Job Site Safety
- State of Colorado COVID-19 Construction Guidance
In response to the Coronavirus emergency, physical visits to the Community Development office at River City Hall have been suspended until further notice. We will continue accepting and processing applications for permits and development approvals, but all application submittals must be done digitally.
Due to the economic impacts of the Coronavirus emergency on the City of Durango, starting on May 7, 2020, Community Development Staff will be furloughed one day a week until the end of the year as follows:
- Administration staff will be furloughed on Fridays, so phone calls to the Community Development Departments main line at (970)375-4850 will not be answered and payments will not be processed on Fridays.
- Planning and Engineering staff will be furloughed on Fridays and will not be available to issue Right of Way or Excavation Permits, or answer Floor Planner questions.
- Building staff will be furloughed on Mondays. Building Inspections will occur Tuesday through Friday by appointment only. For a building inspection, please call (970) 375-4865.
- Code Compliance staff will be furloughed on Thursdays.
- Engineering Inspections will continue to occur Monday through Friday by appointment only. Due to the furlough schedule, the same inspector may not always be available for a particular project. For an engineering inspection, please call (970) 375-4850.
- Parking enforcement services will not be affected by the furlough schedule.
The furloughs will reduce staff’s capacity by 20%, which will impact communication and turn-around times for all services. The City appreciates your cooperation and patience during this difficult time.
If you have a project or permit currently in process, you may continue corresponding with the staff member you’ve been working with via e-mail. If you have a new inquiry, please use the following resources:
- FOR GENERAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT INQUIRIES: Call the main phone line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR BUILDING PERMIT INQUIRIES, INCLUDING APPLICATIONS AND INSPECTIONS: Contact Jackie Cox at Jaclyn.email@example.com or (970) 375-4852.
- FOR ENGINEERING INQUIRIES, INCLUDING EXCAVATION PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS OF PUBLIC IMPROVEMENTS/UTILITIES: Call the main phone line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW INQUIRIES: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the main line at (970) 375-4850.
- FOR CODE ENFORCEMENT INQUIRIES: Contact Steve Barkley at email@example.com or call (970) 375-4930.
- FOR PARKING ENFORCEMENT INQUIRIES: Call (970) 375-4960.
Applications shall be submitted to staff digitally. If paper plans are required by the City, or to drop off mylars, etc., there is a drop-box located at the front door of River City Hall (DO NOT LEAVE ANY PAYMENTS IN THIS DROP-BOX). Payments for applications and permits will be accepted over the phone by calling the main line (970) 375-4850. Physical payments will also be accepted at City drop-box locations conveniently located at City Hall (949 E. 2nd Avenue), the Post Office (222 W. 8th Street), and Durango Public Library (1900 E. 3rd Avenue), and should be addressed to the Community Development Department and include a detailed description of the project. All approved permits will be emailed to customers.
The Building Division is responsible for the inspection and permitting of construction for both private and public development projects. The Chief Building Inspector oversees the proper implementation of adopted International Codes in order to construct safe, sustainable, affordable and resilient structures throughout our community.