Durango, CO: Durango City council will cast final votes on annexing 1,928 acres from the Durango Mesa Park Foundation to be used for several recreational purposes.
The property is within the City’s Comprehensive Plan boundary and is identified as an area to provide parks and recreation facilities. The annexation has been anticipated since the adoption of the Durango Mesa Area Plan in August 2018. The Area Plan set the stage for this annexation and provides the framework for future development of the mesa and the preservation of associated open space.
Proposed initial zoning designations for the annexed property include Rural Agriculture, and Open Space.
Council will hold its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 19, at 5:30 p.m. There is no study session Sept. 19.
At the regular meeting council:
- Will vote on whether to approve the proposed 1,928-acre annexation to the city of Durango from the Durango Mesa Park Foundation
- Will review a resolution to amend the 2023 city budget by $1.2 million for work associated with the former Big Picture High School building. The city is in the process of purchasing the building at 215 E. 12th St. but renovations are needed prior to moving in staff, including IT and power infrastructure, HVAC operations, creating office spaces, creating a customer reception area, conference room space, paint, carpet, and lighting replacements. The Big Picture building has been identified as an appropriate space for relocation of the Community Development and Engineering teams.
- Will review a resolution to amend the 2023 city budget authorizing an additional appropriation of $120,000 to the Downtown’s Next Step design. The first phase of the project is planned for the 600 and 700 blocks of Main Avenue, but additional design work is needed because of the complexity of these blocks, including the College Drive and Main Avenue intersection, multiple underground basements and coal chutes in the area, the need for water quality treatments, and determining the general street sections regarding existing trees, furnishings, and utilities.
- Will discuss and possibly take action on adopting an ordinance that would prohibit firearms and other deadly weapons in city buildings.
- Will vote to go into executive session to discuss the lease, transfer, or sale of real property located the corner of Camino del Rio and west College Drive that is currently leased to the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad for parking.
- Will vote to go into executive session to discuss the hiring of a new director of Parks and Recreation.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
|Do you have a comment, question or suggestion regarding this topic or others? ------------> Check out our "Connect and Engage" webpage and let us know!|
|Want to receive releases like this on city news? ------------------------------------------------------> Sign up at Notify Me and select "City of Durango News Flash."|
Public Information Officer
Phone: (970) 375-5090