The Community Development Department is excited to announce the relaunch of the Design and Development Awards. The public is invited to submit nominations for the 2020-2021 awards by Friday, March 4 at DurangoGov.org/DesAwards
The city started the Design and Development Awards in 1983 to emphasize how good design and development enhances quality of life, creates a sense of place, adds housing units and increases community resiliency and sustainability. The program was implemented for 18 years until 2001.
“We are excited to relaunch this important program to highlight and encourage innovative design and development that enhances the public realm and the community,” said City Planner Savannah Lytle.
Projects built or installed in the two-year period between Jan. 1, 2020 and Dec. 31, 2021 are eligible for awards. Nominations will be accepted in the following categories:
- Outstanding Bump-out
- Outstanding Commercial Patio
- Outstanding Food Truck
- Outstanding Mural
- Outstanding Sign
- Outstanding Building Restoration/Preservation in a Historic District
- Outstanding Building Rehabilitation/Addition in a Historic District
- Outstanding Commercial/Mixed-Use Design
- Outstanding Residential Design
- Outstanding Housing Development
- Outstanding Sustainability Project
- Outstanding Community Benefit (examples of past winners: Mercy Day Care Center, City Recycling Program, Gateway Traffic Signal, Open Space Trails)
Nominations will be presented to City of Durango Boards and Commissions. Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony April 14 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the Powerhouse Science Center.