The City of Durango is hosting a one-year trial for Class I pedal-assist electric mountain bikes (eMTBs) at Twin Buttes. The trial period is June 29, 2020 to June 29, 2021 with winter seasonal trail closures in effect. eMTBs are not permitted on any other City of Durango natural surface trails.
Riders should follow eMTB etiquette and safety measures:
- Only ride trails that are open to eMTB use. Whether you are on an eMTB or regular bike, always stay on the designated trail.
- Control your speed and be prepared to stop.
- eMTB riders yield to all other trail users, regardless of direction.
- Directional travel suggested during trial period. Look for arrows on the upper Twin Buttes trails indicating which way eMTBs and regular bikes should travel. Pedestrians may travel in either direction.
- Plan ahead by knowing your equipment and your ability.
Full description of riding etiquette and a map of Twin Buttes trails are available at DurangoGov.org/electricbikes
The City welcomes feedback during the trial period. Please send feedback regarding the eMTB Twin Buttes Trial to Durango Parks & Recreation Department at rec@DurangoGov.org