Residential Collection Services
How It Works
If you live in a single family home, townhouse or a duplex, the City of Durango provides trash & recycling service to your residence.
Services for multi-family apartments and condominiums are managed differently through the City's commercial collection services.
Residential customers pay a monthly fee for curbside recycling pickup service, and standard containers are provided free-of-charge. If you live within the City of Durango and are not currently receiving City recycling services, please call (970) 375-5004.
Trash and Recycling Collection Guidelines
- Trash containers/dumpsters are either green or black, recycling containers/dumpsters are blue.
- Set your trash or recycling container between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. on collection day. If your container is not out by 8 a.m. you may miss service.
- Allow 4 feet of clearance on all sides of your container. Obstructions such as cars, fences, poles, overflow trash, recycling containers, and other items can prevent the automated trucks from emptying your container.
- Set your container in the street with the wheels and lid hinge pointing to the curb and the front facing the street. The automated trucks cannot service containers that are set out backwards.
- Be sure to bag and secure your trash prior to placing it in the trash container, but DO NOT bag recyclable materials in the recycling container. Plastic bags are not recyclable and interfere with the collection and sorting process.
- Make sure you know what can and cannot be recycled, see the Single Stream Guidelines (PDF) for more information or use the “What Goes Where?” Wizard tool to find out how to dispose of almost anything! To request new recycling guidelines stickers for your recycling container, call (970) 375-5004.
- DO NOT place glass, plastic bags, Styrofoam®, food waste, or trash in your blue single stream recycling container. This could result in your entire container becoming contaminated and your account being charged a contamination fee.
- If you have a manual wildlife-resistant container (containers with two metal clasps over the lid), be sure to unlock it the morning of collection. Automated containers (containers with plastic dials and latches) do not need to be unlocked.
- Keep the lid on your trash container fully closed. Overfilled containers with a lid that won't close may be subject to overfill charge.
- Material in your container should be loose enough for to come out when tipped during servicing.
- Remember trash and recycling containers must be removed from the public right-of-way by 8 p.m. on the day of collection. Please return your trash can to your property on non-collection days and store it out of public view.
- If you missed your regular trash collection day, you can request a special pick up by calling (970) 375-5004.
- DO NOT dump electronics or household hazardous waste in your trash or recycling. Putting these materials in your trash and recycling is a violation of City of Durango code and Colorado state law. The City offers many options for proper disposal of various items:
Residential Drop-Off Options
Visit the Recycle Center and Drop-Off web page for more information on options for drop-off trash and recycling options and services. City of Durango residents may drop off standard single stream recycling material free-of-charge with a current City of Durango residential recycling utility bill. A small drop-off fee applies to residents without a recycling utility bill. Small fees also apply for
Residential Trash & Recycling Collection Fees
|Container Size||Collections Per Week||Monthly Trash Fee||Monthly Recycling Fee||Extra Collection Fee|
Additional Services & Fees
Bulk Trash Pickup
$175 per truckload plus $10 per appliance. Scheduling and payment can be made online here.
Residential missed trash pickups (due to inaccessible can on regular pickup day)
$12.81 extra collection fee
Overfilled container(lid will not close)
$12.81 extra collection fee
Replacing Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Containers
No fee if the customer files a police report at (970) 385-2900 and can provide the case number when requesting a new container. Without a case number, the replacement fees apply.
- 60-gallon container - $66.63
- 90-gallon container - $76.88
- 60-gallon wildlife resistant (bear) container - $310.00
- 90-gallon wildlife resistant (bear) container - $324.00
- 2yd - $900.00
- 3yd - $1,000.00
- 4yd - $1,450.00
- 6yd - $1,650.00
- 8yd - $1,800.00
- Plastic lids - $80.00 per lid
- Wildlife resistant (bear) lids - $185.00 per lid
- Autolock - $70.00 per lock
Call (970) 375-5004 to make arrangement for dumping temporary container.
Delivery fee: $26.39 regardless of size
Collection fee: $12.81 (60/90-gallon)
If a temporary container is not dumped at least once per month, a monthly service fee of $31.67 will be charged.
Wildlife Resistant (Bear) Trash Containers
Wildlife resistant trash containers are available for customers that are unable to otherwise secure their trash.
Rental Fee: $4.35 per month for a period of 4.5 years (containers remain property of the City of Durango).
Delivery Fee for a wildlife resistant container after receiving a citation from Code Enforcement for scattered trash: $102.50