Youth Engagement Program
Government & Community Opportunities
The City's Youth Engagement Program offers many opportunities for youth to get involved with their city government and community. Teens who are enrolled in a Durango high school (9th-12th grade for the 2014-2015 school year) or are a Durango resident and home-schooled are eligible to apply for a one-year position that runs September through May on the Mayor's Youth Advisory Commission or as a youth liaison to one of the other city boards listed below:
- Business Improvement District - This group makes improvements to the Central Business District (generally, historic downtown and north Main Avenue) and works on special events. The members meet the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 12:00 pm at 850 Main Avenue Suite 2.
- Durango-La Plata County Airport Commission - The commission makes recommendations about airport operations and budgeting. Upcoming projects include an expansion and remodeling of the airport terminal building. The members meet the third Thursday at 3:00 pm at the airport.
- Library Advisory Board - Makes recommendations on the operation of the Durango Public Library. The members meet the second Monday of every other month at 4:30 pm at the Library.
- Mayor's Youth Advisory Commission - The commission makes recommendations to the City Council and directly addresses issues concerning youth in the community. In 2012, the commission held the First Annual Youth Expo, a forum to see all the schools, activities, opportunities, and resources for teens side by side. The commission is made up of seven members and two alternates. Meetings are held twice a month on the 1st Monday at 7:30 a.m. at City Hall, Smith Chambers and the 3rd Monday at 3:30 p.m. upstairs at the Library Program Room 3.
- Multi-Modal Advisory Board - The board makes recommendations on the operation of Durango Transit and other modes of transportation, including bicycles and pedestrians. The members meet the third Wednesday of every month at 4:00 pm at the Transit Center.
- Natural Lands Preservation Advisory Board - The board oversees the acquisition, protection, stewardship, and use of the city's open spaces and natural lands. The members meet the second Monday of every month at 6:00 pm at the Recreation Center.
- Parks and Recreation Advisory Board - The board oversees the maintenance, expansion, use, and protection of the city's parks and recreational facilities. The members meet the second Wednesday of the month at 5:00 pm at the Recreation Center.
- Public Art Commission - The commission oversees the city's public art collection and is responsible for planning and installing new art projects in the city. The members meet the last Tuesday of every month at 8:00 am at City Hall.
- Utilities Commission - The commission discusses issues as they pertain to water supply, storage, purification, conservation, and distribution in the City of Durango. The members meet as needed, but generally the first Monday of the month at 4:30 pm at the Library, Program Room 3.