- Leasing for Locals Application October 26, 2023 - December 18, 2023
- Leasing for Locals Program Guidelines and Information
Leasing for Locals Program Guidelines and Information
Program Summary and Mission
City of Durango's Leasing for Locals (below-market) Rental Subsidy Voucher Program intends to increase the supply of affordable rentals available to the local workforce by bridging the disparity between income and rental prices. By committing resources, utilizing American Rescue Plan Act Federal Funds, and working with the City's non-profit partner Housing Solutions for the Southwest, and partnering with the developer Four Points Funding and the onsite Property Managment Company, Griffis Blessing, to create a two-year pilot program at the Gauge Apartments, located at 1275 Escalante Drive, Durango, Colorado.
The Rental Subsidy Voucher Program aims to immediately increase the number of long-term rental units available to local workforce by offering financial assistance, in the form of a city project-based voucher, to subsidize rental rates from market rate to affordable monthly rents. Colorado's mountain & resort communities have seen dramatic spike increase in rents (over 30% in the last two years) as well as an ever-expanding commute. This largely contributes to labor shortages. Leasing for Locals is a near-tern innovative solution that will bring 30 new apartment units into the City's Housing Innovation Division Program with targeted stabilization rents in the following levels:
Level 1 (15 Rental Units Available)
This level will have monthly rents set at 60% Area Median Income, but the household can earn at or below 80% Area Median Income for La Plata County based on the Colorado Housing and Finance Authority Max Rent Table (published annually in May). Household worker(s) may earn less and may more for the Area Median Income but cannot exceed the total household income below per household size. The below table provides approximate hourly rates to give guidance for household income verification.
The level 1 rent amounts do not include utilities as that will be the responsibility of the tenant.
Level 2 (15 Rental Units Available)
This level will have monthly rents set at 80% Area Median Income, but the household can earn at or below 100% Area Median Income for La Plata County. Household worker(s) may earn less and may earn more for the Area Median Income but cannot exceed the total household income below per household size.
The level 2 rent amounts do not include utilities as that will be the responsibility of the tenant.
For program questions, eligibility, income, and employment please contact Housing Solutions for the Southwest Property Managment Director, Tammy Chamber at (970) 764-4032 or by Email
For questions regarding the Gauge including pets, parking, utilities, security deposit, and application fees please contact the Property Manager, Amanda Robinette (970) 730-2523 or by Email
All prospective tenants must complete an online application and include the following information:
- Complete online application
- Employment Verification Form (employee section only)
- Copy of Driver's License or other government issued photo I.D.
- 3 consecutive paystubs (from all jobs including part-time and seasonal)
- Must be primary residence
- Must work on average 32 hours per week for a business or organization in La Plata County (refer to FAQs of the application for more information)
All application will be reviewed and approved by Housing Solutions for the Southwest in the order they are received. Anticipated move-in dates for approved tenants will be staggered depending on need and availability all applicants will need to meet both a minimum monthly household income or two times the monthly rent and cannot exceed a maximum gross annual income limit for household size.
The City of Durango has partnered with Housing Solutions for the Southwest to administer the monthly program monitoring and provide invoicing to the City to pay the subsidy portion and the Gauge Property Management Company will administer the Rental Subsidy Voucher Program as an extension of the City's Housing Innovation Division Programs.
Rental Subsidy Voucher
- For 2-bedroom or larger units: the number of tenants must be equal to or greater to the number of bedrooms.
- Prospective tenant must be approved by Housing Solutions for the Southwest for income, employment, and residency verification.
- Gauge Property Management Company must approve per the credit and background check.
- Approved tenant will execute lease for the market rate cost.
- A "Leasing for Locals" rental subsidy voucher addendum to the lease will be executed by tenant and city, illustrating the tenant's portion based on their approved income qualified amount, and the city's proportionate subsidy owed for each month.
- Tenant is responsible for paying their monthly rental rate accordingly and shall adhere to the regulations, rules, and terms in their lease.
- After 12-month lease, a $50 increase for year two is anticipated along with month-to-month lease option.