Proclamation / Citizen Request
Proclamations & Citizen Recognition Requests
The City Council enjoys acknowledging those who contribute to and enhance the quality of life in Durango. Citizens may request to have the mayor present a proclamation or nominate exceptional members of the community who deserve special recognition at a City Council meeting only if someone will be present to receive the proclamation or recognition. The mayor will review and determine eligibility of all requests.
Types of Recognition
- Certificates of Appreciation
- Church / Pastor Certificates of Recognition
- Distinguished Community Service Awards
- Have a positive community impact
- Not duplicate other requests
- Not take sides in matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual conviction
- Not be a commercial endorsement or solicitation of funds
A two-week advance notice is required for processing proclamations or requests for a citizen recognition.
Proclamations and certificates will be retyped on official parchment-like paper, embossed with the city's seal, and signed by the mayor.
Any deviation from these provisions shall be considered on a case-by-case basis by the mayor or designee. Any such consideration that results in an official proclamation or recognition shall not be considered a precedent for future actions. The mayor's issuance of a proclamation does not constitute an endorsement.
View directions and an example of submitting a proclamation (PDF).