Explore Durango

Go To Search
Today's Weather

Do I Need a Permit
The City of Durango requires that a building permit be obtained fromt the City of Durango Building Department prior to the start of any work if a building permit is required. 

Should the work not require a permit, requirements of the Land Use and Development Code will still apply.  You will need to contact the Planning Department with any questions regarding the Land Use and Development Code.

Please, see the following to determine if you need to apply for a permit:


 Any structure on a property that is not considered the "principal" structure when the structure is more than 120 square feet.
 All additions or structure interior remodels of existing commercial buildings.
  •  DECK
 Covered decks and all decks more than 30" above grade.
 The demolition of any structure.  A permit must be obtained through the State of Colorado prior to the City of Durango issuing a permit.  (If located on E 3rd Avenue or is a historically landmarked property, it must be reviewed by the Historic Preservation Board.
 All electrical work as determined and permitted by the State of Colorado Electrical Board including by not limited to: temporary construction service, the wiring of a structure, fire alarm installation, photovoltaic installation, and water well installation.
 All new fences and fence rebuilds need to obtain a fence permit. The permit fee is $50.
 New gas lines or the repair of gas lines. The permit fee is $15 and requires an inspection completed by the Building Department verifying that the line holds pressure.  Once the inspection has been passed, you will be given a green tag representing the approval for your gas company.
 The addition, replacement, or repair of mechanical systems.
 Set up of mobile homes within established mobile home parks within the City of Durango limits.  The fee is $24 and you will need to have the trailer year, make, model, width, length, and VIN.
 New commercial buildings.
 All new residential developments with 3 or more units.
 New house, duplex, or townhouse.
 The excavation of more than 10 cubic yards on private property.  The fee for the permit is $15.
 The addition, replacement, or repair of water or sewage systems, water service lines, drains, water mains, sewage disposal systems.
 All additions and structural interior remodel of residential buildings.
 Retaining walls over 4' in height.  All retaining walls located in or near public-right-of-way and all walls over 6' in height need to be designed by a structural engineer.
 All solar panel installations.  The permit fee is $20.  May also be required to go through the Commercial Design Review process.
 New tenant interior remodel.


  •  One-Story detached accessory builidings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses less than 120 square feet.
  •  Oil derricks
  •  Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high.
  •  Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids
  •  Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ration of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  •  Platforms, walks, and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below.
  •  Painting, papering, and similar finish.  (Those located in the East Third Avenue Historic District or considered a historical landmark will need to apply for an Alterations Certificate.  If changing the exterior of a commercial building, you will need to go through the Commercial Design Review  process.)
  •   Temporary motion pictures, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
  •   Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R, Division 3, and Group M Occupancies when projecting not mroe than 54 inches.
  •   Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons, and are entirely above ground.
  •   Swings and other residential playground equipment.
  •   Roof mainenance and reroofing using identical materials (those located within the East Third Avenue Historic District will need to apply for an Alterations Certificate.)