Business & Sales Tax License Fees
Every business applicant pays the city a $30 application fee. This also applies to an existing business which changes its location within the city limits; the application fee is waived if the move is within the same building. The Planning and Fire departments may charge additional fees for their required inspections and reviews pertaining to city code and zoning.
The amount of the business license fee is based on the number of employees, whether full- or part-time. The number of employees is determined by the monthly average of employees during the preceding year. The license fee for a new business shall be based on the estimated monthly average number of employees for the next ensuing 12 months.
License Fee Schedule
|Number of Employees||License Fees|
|5 or fewer||$50|
|6 to 10||$78|
|11 to 20||$105|
|21 or more||$122|
Additional License Information & Fees
- Event Business License Fee: $25 for 0-15 events and $50 for over 15 events.
- Lodger's Tax License: The city charges a one-time processing fee of $25 on applications in this category.
- Nonprofit Organizations: No license fee - just the application fee and whatever fee the Planning and/or Fire departments charge for review and inspection.
- Sales / Use Tax Only License: $25 - this category is for businesses located outside Durango, that only deliver into the city using a common carrier.
Specialty licenses may have additional licensing fees. These relate to:
- Carnival and circuses
- Cross connection control technicians
- Merchant patrol / private investigators
Business and sales tax licenses expiring on December 31 must be renewed and fees paid annually by January 31. The city assesses a $30 late fee on renewals completed after January 31. Licenses not renewed by March 1 will be cancelled.